There are several types of Horsepower. Hyundaipedia focuses on the car side of horsepower.
- Mechanical horsepower — 0.74569987158227022 kW (33,000 ft·lbf per minute)
- Base Horsepower
- The horsepower produced straight out of the engine.
- Wheel Horsepower
- The horsepower that is actually used at the wheels.
The most-common definition of horsepower for engines is the one originally proposed by James Watt in 1782. Under this system, one horsepower is defined as:
A common memory aid is based on the fact that Christopher Columbus first sailed to the Americas in 1492. The memory aid states that 1 hp = 1/2 Columbus or 746 W.
- In fourteen hundred and ninety-two
- Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
- Divide that son of a gun|son-of-a-gun by two
- And that's the number of watts in a horsepower too.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Horsepower. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Hyundai Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|